Exotic but easy. The combo of lentils and basmati rice give a substantial protein especially for vegetarian. I learned this recipe from my friends.
- 1- cup toor dal
- 21/2- cups water
- ½- inch ginger
- 3- cloves
- 1-tbs turmeric powder
- ½- tsp. red chilli powder optinal
- ¼- tsp. turmeric powder
- ¼- tsp. garam masala (optional)
- 2- pinches asafoetida
- 2- tbsp. ghee
- ½- tsp. each cumin
- ½-mustard seeds
- 1- stalk curry leaves
- 1- tomato chopped fine
- 1- tbsp. chopped coriander leaves
- 3-whole green or red chilly
- ½- onion finely chopped
- salt to taste
- Pressure cook toor daal with water,garlic, salt, ginger,asafoetida,b tomato and turmeric powder.
- Mash the dal, after it has been cooked.
- Heat the ghee in a pan, add cumin seeds, dry red or green chillies, when they start to pop up. Add onion and fry for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add the dal. If needed add some water, (it depends on the consistency at which you would like the daal) , cook until the toor daal boils,. Cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- Now Fried Daal is ready. Garnish with coriander leaves.